Ingredients for 4/6 people
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 800g of lamb (shoulder or leg) or you can use braising beef cut into 3cm pieces, if you prefer
- 1 jar of Greka tomato sauce with Mediterranean herbs or Greka tomato sauce with aubergine and sweet red pointed peppers
- 200g Greka kritharaki
- Feta cheese for crumbling at the end (if you don’t like feta you can use grated parmesan, pecorino or if you can find it kefalotiri cheese)
- salt and freshly milled pepper
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit/Gas 4).
Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the lamb/beef in batches until golden brown on all sides.
Transfer the meat pieces in a casserole dish and add the Greka sauce of your choice (both work really well). Add a 1 litre of hot water, add salt and freshly milled pepper to taste.
Cover with foil and bake for 11/2 to 2 hours or until the lamb/beef is really tender.
Once you are happy the meat is lovely and soft, add the kritharaki. Mix well, cover and return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes. By this time the kritharaki should be soft and should have absorbed some of the sauce. You may need to add a little more hot water if the dish seems too dry.
Serve hot, sprinkled with the crumbled feta or cheese of your choice.
A nice fresh Greek salad and crusty bread is the only accompaniment you need to enjoy this dish!